From the time humans started carving for chocolates, a lot of new ideas to make chocolate better has come up. Some thought of how to make the chocolates looks good, while others wanted a variety of flavors in it. Thousands of years of thought have given plenty of variations in chocolate. Many who have seen the commercial benefits of the chocolate had turned it into a big industry. Today we will be looking at a century-old innovation in the chocolate industry called the chocolate enrobing machine and the process and benefits of it.
The enrobing machines first came into existence at the starting of the 20th century. The underlying concept of these machines is still the same. This machine will take different ingredients, which range from nuts to icecream and coat it with a layer of chocolate. The first use of this process was to protect the covered components from getting spoiled. Eventually, enrobing gained popularity as a way to create better-flavored chocolate products. The typical method of an enrobing machine includes:
- Melting of chocolate: The first step in the enrobing process is to melt the chocolate that acts as the coating layer. A chocolate tempering unit helps in the melting of the chocolate.
- Adding the products to the feed: There will be different kinds of feeds like a container or wire mesh where the products to are kept. The feed will take these products to the coating area.
- The coating part: As the products reach the coating part, the coating pump will create a consistent fall of chocolate. There will be proper vibration and overflow mechanism to ensure uniform coating of all sides.
- Cooling: Once the coating gets done, the chocolate products gets transferred to the cooling area. The cooling process continues for a fixed amount of time that is enough for the layer of chocolate to solidify.
There are many benefits to using a chocolate enrobing machine than doing it manually. The main benefits include:
- Improve the shelf life of products with the help of a chocolate layer that acts as a protection from moisture, microbes, and oxidation.
- Helps in the production of better textured and flavored chocolate products.
- Creates a consistent layer around the products, which is quite impossible when done manually.
- There are automated enrobers that can drastically increase production.
- The chocolate products obtained after enrobing will have high quality.
- Labor costs can get significantly reduced.